Author Topic: VAM no longer supported, that how we have to face it today.  (Read 154 times)

OAV001

• View Profile
    • Open Air Virtual
VAM no longer supported, that how we have to face it today.
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »
Chaps,

I think we must conclude that VAM died this year. There are a few very nice, lovely people who will go to the end to support the other people with help, bugfixes etc, etc. I even had good hope's when the admin opent another development forum for people who are programming as well to even get a better product. That started nice but.... the admin(VAM) has not been seen since January 18, 2019. http://virtualairlinesmanager.net/foro//index.php?action=profile;u=1

One of my biggest issues is the Sim-Acars module, I also emailed the Admin that I am was very happy to work on it to address quite a few bugs, no response btw. Also some database trouble with the tours and don't forget the slow response from the website.

Does anyone of you know some software that can be compared to VAM where I can have a look at? I am concerned a lot about the continuity of our lovely VA and it's 35 pilots.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Cheers,

Peter
Cheers,

Peter Faase
CEO / Webmaster Open Air Virtual
http://www.openairvirtual.eu

CharlieBravo

• View Profile
Re: VAM no longer supported, that how we have to face it today.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 11:57:01 PM »
Well, there is always phpvms and you can spend a fortune getting everything you'd like together.  Then phpvms7 where you can melt your brain catching up with all the stuff that isn't complete yet.

Vafinancials (VAFS) which hasn't been updated in a very long time yet the forums still seems to be active mostly with repairs.

vabase.com: Yearly pay for you do not have access to any of the DB but can edit most of the pages to your liking.  Really simple setup but mainly no features.  Comes with its custom acars. If you just have a group that flies to enjoy and racks up hours it may be a viable option.

Fsairlines.net: May not fit your needs but worth looking into.  The dev is active in the forums and has plans for future.  No real airline names allowed tho.

Those are the ones I've messed with.  Hopefully someone else has experience elsewhere. 

OAV001

• View Profile
    • Open Air Virtual
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »
Yes that where the ones I already looked at as well... Vabase is out of the questions because I want to be able to have my own data.
Cheers,

Peter Faase

Timothee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 05:00:43 PM »
Hi Peter

I do agree with you. We realized this fact a while ago already. A project maintained by only one person is sooner or later going to die.

We made a lot of modifications to VAM itself so it wouldnt be compatible anymore anyway. Also, two years ago I started writing our own ACARS client which is compatible with VAM and resolves issues which SIM ACARS had. The client is still in testing internally but the results are looking fine.

With this we are now fully independent since I don't expect anything new from here.

Regards
Timothee

OAV001

• View Profile
    • Open Air Virtual
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 10:36:32 PM »
Hi Timothee,

Thank you for your reply! Yes , SimAcars is one of my biggest nightmares. 61 seconds in a minute etc etc lol.

Is your system going to be shareware as well? Or are we able to buy it? I simply don't find the time to start from scratch and build a new system. I am a Delphi programmer so if I can help out with something I am more then happy to help out.
Cheers,

Peter Faase

Timothee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »
Hi Peter

I havent decided about that yet. For the moment its just for internal use.
There are two reasons for that. Firstly although my program is compatible with VAM I havent implemented charter flights simply because we dont support it in our airline. Secondly we have only a limited set of aircrafts available and some addons like the Majestic Dash or the PMDG 777 need some special handling for detecting lights and there might be more out there.

That said, if its ever getting released to the public it will be either Freeware or Open Source.

I am using C# but once released I will be happy to come back to you.

Regards
Timothee