Author Topic: "search" fucntion for Airports Manager  (Read 615 times)

smokey

• View Profile
"search" fucntion for Airports Manager
« on: July 30, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »
It would be extremely handy if one can have a "search" function in the Airports Manager

to "next page" all the way to the end .......... takes hours  :'(

Jan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:48:37 AM by smokey »

quepsi83

• View Profile
Re: "search" fucntion for Airports Manager
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »
True. But may I suggest that you use your hosting provider's cPanel to access the database and run a SQL query for the ICAO or range of ICAOs then noting the ID of the row you're looking for... go back to the BROWSE feature and increase the row count to 500... giving you a page load of 500 rows... sort by ASC and then paging by groups of 500 reduces the stress and agony of even dealing with the Airports table?  You're not able to EDIT any of the queried results as the results are just a VIEW... or I haven't dug deeper into that. Maybe there is or are other ways to achieve the same result?

Waiting for the implementation of your request as an update may... well... Ahhh... just try the above and see if it helps you out.  LOL

Cheers,

Keith

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:52:45 AM »
I am using same ... but still a pain in the .. err .... ear !

p.s. why cant one (or is it simply my inability to ) edit in die DB itself ?
I know zero about DB's

did try my hand at exporting to .csv, did my edits & imported again
clever me !!!!
... nope, not at all, somehow I managed to end up with double the entries 96k odd

so I guess next time when I have to do a lot of changes, I need to empty the table before importing

quepsi83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »
a) contact your web hosting provider
b) get instructions about 'how to access their cPanel' to reach your database
c) ask them about "phpMyAdmin"
d) that's what you'll use to traverse the database

As was mentioned elsewhere (recently) you should be concerned with two (airports) tables... one is reached from the VAM  database... the other is in a separate database used by SIMACARS.  I'm just assuming you'll want to have BOTH of those sync'd?

Cheers,

Keith

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »
Thanks Keith

I have access to the DB through CPanel
was just inexperienced in knowing that I had to add a Primary Key to a column to be able to edit it

Aunty Google helped me out there  :o

quepsi83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
Aunty Google can be dangerous among all the nephews and nieces... I've NEVER heard about such requirement to be able to EDIT a row in a table.  Were you aware of the original Primary Key before you decided to add one.  Goog luck.

Cheers,

Keith

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
original primary key ?? ....   nope
like I said, complete novice/idiot

so far everything is working 100%

arcade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
Hello can you explain how edit the airports via using php my admin I have same issues I need to update some airport ıcao code.

Caporrella

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »
same problem for me!

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:21:47 PM »
best would be for Quepsi83 to assist, but I just did what he said in the post above

True. But may I suggest that you use your hosting provider's cPanel to access the database and run a SQL query for the ICAO or range of ICAOs then noting the ID of the row you're looking for... go back to the BROWSE feature and increase the row count to 500... giving you a page load of 500 rows... sort by ASC and then paging by groups of 500 reduces the stress and agony of even dealing with the Airports table?  You're not able to EDIT any of the queried results as the results are just a VIEW... or I haven't dug deeper into that. Maybe there is or are other ways to achieve the same result?

RFK676

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »
Hello can you explain how edit the airports via using php my admin I have same issues I need to update some airport ıcao code.

Hello,

First in PhpMyAdmin ( i guess you have access to your database of your virtual airlines installation.
you need to know the organization of the airports table.

If you need to update a table, i suggest you export the airports table, and the airport frequencies table to an SQL file.
basically a table has columns and fields, columns stores the data in it, and the fields is where the data resides.

In your PhPmyadmin, there is an option to export tables.

then, you need to locate 3 things in the (airport) table: the ID( which  appears to be the primary key), the column ident ( where the ICAO code is)

In the sql part of your PHPmyadmin, execute the below query

SELECT * FROM `airports` WHERE ident ='put here the ICAO code you want to update'

once you have the result, you see data for the airport.

you can then, update the data in entering anything you want with this query.

In order not to do mistakes, i suggest you to update each field at time.

the airports table has the below columns.

ID, ident,name, latitude_deg, longitude_deg, elevation_ft, continent,iso_country,municipality,scheduled_services,gps_code,iata_code,local_code,home_link,wikipedia_link,keywords

update airports set (the name of the field you want to update) where ( the field that will identify the airport, and not another one)

basically speaking if you want to update the airport of Johannesburg in south africa which change from FAJS to FAOR, all you need is to locate the old airport

select * from airports where ident='FAJS'

You get

2792 FAJS large_airport, Jan smuts International Airport, -26.1392002106, 28.2460002899, 5558, AF, ZA, ZA-GT, Johannesburg, yes FFAJS JNB http://www.acsa.co.za/home.asp?pid=228http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OR_Tambo_Internationa... Jan smuts International,Airport
Johannesburg I

if you want to update the ICAO with the new code which is FAOR, or and any other field:

type the below query.

update airports set ident='FAOR' where iata_code='JNB'
update airports set name='OR Tambo International Airport' where iata_code='JNB'
update airports set gps_code='FAOR' where iata_code='JNB'

do like that to update any field you want, by making sure you relate to the record by a single information, here iata_code='JNB'

you done  :D

RFK676,
CEO of all African airways

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
Thanks RFK

by now, a year later, Im up & running & (more) fluent in SQ DB's

i think this threat went totally off the point, all I asked for was a "Search" function in the airports manager
surely it cant be that much effort to do for someone that has the capability to design the VAM system

editing the DB poses another problem, every edit needed - I must do
as Im the only one with CP access, as I am the one-eyed king in the land of the blind :-)

RFK676

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
OH My.
i didn't read the thread age, i just got into it like a bull ;D
good to know that you have doen some inroad with DB's.
VAM is good project, but some glitches are still lingering around. but for a project that has been designed by a single man, i must say respect.
good luck in your endeavors!!

RFK676

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
fully agree !

all for free - not complaining at all