Author Topic: FAJS vs FAOR - OR Tambo Int'l, Johannesburg, South Africa  (Read 453 times)

quepsi83

• View Profile
FAJS vs FAOR - OR Tambo Int'l, Johannesburg, South Africa
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:20:07 AM »
FAJS ICAO identifier was replaced by FAOR ICAO identifier years back.

Flying into FAOR a few months ago generated a PENALTY of NOT LANDING AT THE CORRECT AIRPORT.   Looking through the airports table I realized that FAOR (Correct ICAO ID) had a completely wrong airport name and possibly incorrect lat/lon.   Further checking on FAJS showed a correct airport name.  So, I deleted the problem causing FAOR row from the table then replaced the incorrect IACO of FAJS with FAOR.

I've just completed a rotation from EDDF - FAOR... landed at FAOR... shut down the MD11 at the gate... filed the pirep... got the validation email then viewed the ACARS report only to find a PENALTY for landing at the NOT CORRECT AIRPORT.

The Map shows the MD11 sitting at FAOR (Correct)... The MD11 has been relocated to FAOR and I'm at the Hilton off the Airport relaxing in Johannesburg.

I'm not that smart to make this shiznt up.  Time for a Corona with a lime wedge.

Cheers,

Keith

Timothee

• View Profile
Re: FAJS vs FAOR - OR Tambo Int'l, Johannesburg, South Africa
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
I assume you corrected the entry in your VAM database. The problem is, SIMAcars doesn't care for this table.
SIMAcars comes with its own database, including a table with airports. For validating departure and arrival airports the data from the local database is used.

The local database has to be edited manually by each SIMAcars user, using a tool like DB Browser for SQLite.
You may wonder why SIMAcars is using a local database for this. The only benefit is, SIMAcars can be used offline without an Internet connection and is therefore able to validate your position.
From my point of view, there is too much logic implemented in SIMAcars, but thats another story.

To solve your problem you don't have many options.

a) Provide a corrected DB file for your VA pilots. But replacing the file will also delete all reports which are stored locally and the VA profile (username, password, URL, etc.)
b) Explain each VA pilot how they can edit the database manually
c) Wait for SIMAcars 1.X which hopefully will include an update function for this case or works completely different (validation of airports done by VAM)
d) Write your own tracker

quepsi83

• View Profile
Re: FAJS vs FAOR - OR Tambo Int'l, Johannesburg, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 12:35:55 AM »
Timothee.  You're probably aware of this utility? If not... open up your crowded toolbox and add a sledgehammer...   https://github.com/sqlitebrowser/sqlitebrowser/releases

I plan on hunting down that pesky FAOR/FAJS situation and (hopefully) correct the Airports table without ruining the database used by SIMACARS.  And have a somewhat corrected .DB3 I can pass on to all my pilots?

Please use at your own risk... Please Please Please

Take care,

Keith
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:37:59 AM by quepsi83 »