Author Topic: Auto Ranks - disable [SOLVED]  (Read 244 times)

smokey

• View Profile
Auto Ranks - disable [SOLVED]
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »
Hi All,

Is there a way to disable auto rank assignments ?
We are a military VA and getting a promotion is based on 3 criteria,
just one being hours flown. ( also have missions & test flights )

So the scenario we sit with now, if we "up" the hours on the system for the next rank
to prevent a pilot from getting a promotion due to hours ...
the pilot/d with a high rank falls back down during the next pirep validation.

Jan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:36:49 PM by smokey »

quepsi83

• View Profile
Re: Auto Ranks - disable
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »
I'm just thinking outside of the box on this situation.

The .PHP is examining hours and not an incremental value that could be attributed to  - MISSIONS/CHECK RIDES - decimal values.   I almost am leaning on the outcome this - what you want - might NOT be possible with the current VAM implementation.   My tired grey cells are thinking that either a new table column or two might have to be added to some table (maybe vampireps)  - OR - an examination of TOTAL FLIGHTS by GVAUSER (from the vampireps table) could be sql'd or xref'd to see if the MISSIONS and/or CHECK RIDES limits have been met... also having to somehow modify the RANKS table to hold the numerical LIMITS... then down the long yellow brick road to arrive at  the end result?

But it is a very interesting capability that would be a 'nice to have'.  Yeah!   Waaayyy too much time spent looking at .PHP scripts... LOL

A .php GURU I'm not!!!  But, I'll take a look see within the scripts and see if a MOD is even possible and if it is... would there be any bad side effects throughout the rest of the system.

In the meantime, perhaps other Users with much more knowledge of the coding flows MIGHT chime in?

All the best,

Keith

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »
Ho Keith

thanks for the reply

If I follow your drift, you explained how it might be possible to implement the thee scenario parameters to change rank
this is not what we want to achieve

We simply want the system NOT to do auto ranks

was wondering , should one not set a min/max hours per rank - how would that turn out
well, only one way to find out - will be doing a flight now with my rank set to "no min / no max"

... someone in our VA mention that it might then NOT log the hours, either in die VA totals or for the pilot only, or even both

Jan

quepsi83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
Well... wanting to shut down AUTO RANKing altogether is probably the simpler approach... remembering... a 'fix' over here could result in a 'break' over there... LOL

Moving in the direction you mentioned above... finding the .PHP or .JS scripts that does the processing and COMMENTING OUT the block (NOT DELETE) of code could give you what you want.  Give it a shot and be sure to report back.

I'm presently DEEP (real deep) in trying to examine just  WHERE I can tweak code (probably Javascript) to get the LIVE FLIGHT MAPS - on the home page during a flight - will feed off the LAT/LON position captured and reported by SIMACARS and NOT the LAT/LON reported for the DEPARTURE airport.  It's a PITA when each time the Map refreshes - and I am 5,000nm from the departure airport... the Map always returns to the departure airport.

If I can take a break away from this Maps self-imposed project... to look at your area... and do find something I'll report back.  Again... assuming you have some coding skills... the above idea might be achievable quicker than building a new mousetrap... LOL

Cheers,

Keith

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 08:13:10 PM »
Hi Keith

my shot in the dark did work
by leaving the MIN & MAX hours field empty in the RANK manager dit the trick
its important not to have a zero, just blank
so no auto rank and we can do it manually like we have been the last 11 years

coding skills ... afraid ZERO less 1

we have only been playing with VAM for 3 days now, and it takes my hours to find & amend simple things like
the "virtual airlines manager" on the slider
the "virtual airlines manager" and sometimes "VAM" on the top menu left
the logo at the bottom of the page "powered by ... + the image

all things I need to find where to delete/change as required
but unfortunately replies on this forum is few & far apart

Jan

quepsi83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »
OUTSTANDING!!!   Job Well Done!!!  I'll put that in my KB.  Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,

Keith

smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
am I pushing my luck if I ask if you have input/advice/guidance regarding my last paragraph of previous post   :P

quepsi83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 12:31:38 AM »
Hahahaaa... If it is about support or lack thereof?

There are some terrific guys that add to the knowledge base.  I'm retired from engineering so I try to add wherever and whenever I could.   Since cuddling VAM in mid-April, 2018,  I've stumbled through the forrest... hit a few low hanging branches... missed stepping on the snake... and am still discovering wishing wells within VAM.   Yet it truly is built on a good platform and kudos to the Developer.   I'm nervously waiting on promised updates... but we shall see.

With all things Social Media... thread lightly... cause FIREWALLS don't protect at 100Mbps.

Cheers,

Keith