Author Topic: VAM Data for Airports , how old is it ?  (Read 87 times)

lesmar

• View Profile
VAM Data for Airports , how old is it ?
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:13:06 AM »
The airports table as supplied by VAM seems to have a substantial amount of missing or incorrect data. \

FAJS now has the ICAO code of FAOR and existing FAOR is not a registered airfield in South Aftrica and should be deleted

Many new airports that are now in use are not in the data which i think was created around 5 or 6 years ago.

I hope in the new release that a better database is supplied so that so many corrections dont have to be made

lesmar

• View Profile
Re: VAM Data for Airports , how old is it ?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:36:16 PM »
i have found a database that seems to be a bit more upto date just need to upload it to airports table avoiding duplicates
 the database can be found at https://openflights.org/data.html

obviously i will use MYSQL and a couple of scripts to do this and again if anybody interested in these scripts then I will post them on here

lesmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
the VAM database after investigation seems to be a clone of http://ourairports.com/data/airports.csv

The latest version is dated 10th July 2018  which is very much more recent
however I believe that this database is also not very accurate at times but is closer but still contains many errors

~/Sites/vamroutes/vamroutesdata/csvdata/airports.csv:19783: 2792,"FAJS","large_airport","OR Tambo International Airport",-26.1392,28.246,5558,"AF","ZA","ZA-GT","Johannesburg","yes","FAOR","JNB",,"http://www.acsa.co.za/home.asp?pid=228","http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OR_Tambo_International_Airport","Johannesburg International Airport"
~/Sites/vamroutes/vamroutesdata/csvdata/airports.csv:19863: 31055,"FAOR","large_airport","OR Tambo International

Yes two records for the same airport ?

VBD201

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:38:50 PM »
hello, you can send me the table if possible in SQL format.
Thank you

lesmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 06:22:35 PM »
i am busy removing duplicates etc but it will be ready soon , no guarantees its 100% perfect but you can judge for yourself later

lesmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 06:20:19 AM »
i think i will end up with just over 13,400 good airports in my database as i will cross-check all names and entries with arinc data from navigraph latest cycle as I am a subscriber to that.  Yes many airports will be chopped especially those very small and private airfields or plantation airstrips in Brazil etc.  I want to have airports that you can get routes for from Simbrief and for many pilots who fly on-line they need to be in IFR mode as VFR is not generally allowed on-line much.   
My database is getting there but it will take a bit longer than i was hoping for due to the errors , etc. 

CURRENT NAVIGRAPH ARINC 1807  CONTAINS JUST UNDER 13500 AIRPORTS WITH CURRENT LONGITUDE AND LATITUDE

This will bee my base for collating the airports table  and yes there is only FAOR and not FAJS in Navigraph
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:30:29 AM by lesmar »

lesmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »
The current Airports Table seems to have a lot of information that is not used or required and some information that would be ideal to have

Do we need fields such as scheduled_service or keywords etc if they are not used ?

The flight duration field on routes table could be easily dynamically done as we have both the airport code and the co-ordinates but what is missing on the airports table is the GMT offset and timezone of the airport,  this makes calculating flight time easier as departure and arrival times are usually in local time eg. FIMP Mauritius to EGLL London Heatrow d├ęparts at 22:00 and arrives at 06:30 for example now just subtracting times gives you 8:30 flight time but since FIMP has a Gmt offset of +3 and EGLL has GMT offset of 0 then the flight time is in fact 11:30 approx. 
therefore it makes sense to add these to airports rather than having data that is redundant
Taking about routes there is a good formula that will calculate based on the shape of the earth the number of nautical miles between airports .  I will amend my VAM to show this distance on the routes display like the duration as a guideline for pilots
I will publish all changes I make in here as a sort of addition to VAM and perhaps it will get put into the next version

lesmar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »
got the basic navigraph data into a table now to api or copy missing details for each airport from other sources

CharlieBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 12:18:06 AM »
Great! Look forward to it.

VBD201

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 08:05:25 AM »
Great!

lesmar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »
i have matched up around 8500 Navigraph Airports with some of the other tables , I think and believe some of these tables are not correct as many hold a 3 character code for the airport for many USA airports such as 1KS  where Navigraph and ICAO code is K1KS  so i can correct a few more of the 2000 airports i need data for.